Hello, back again with another eyeshadow company review! This week’s review is from Makeup Geek Cosmetics. This is my second order from this company, here are my honest thoughts about what I’ve purchased from this company.
- Very unique. It’s not overally beautiful, but a playful, chic concept. Each “type” of shadow have their own colored packaging.
- I appreciate the sticker at the bottom of the product with its name, and type of product. (foiled, regular, etc.)
- I honestly, HATE the way pan eyeshadows come in the flat packaging. I found some of the Makeup Geek eyeshadows to slid out easily with no damage or stuggle, meanwhile, others were “stuck” and wouldn’t come out. I did damage about two of them, which you can see the lines in the eyeshadow pans.
- The Sparkler is in a screw top, tiny package. It looks super cute with the MG silver top, and the product sticker on the bottom.
- My BIGGEST annoyance from this second MUG order is the Sparkler I ordered.
Why? I opened it to see the color and product was in the screw area of the top and went EVERYWHERE! (You can see all the fallout on the receipt). For $10, the size of the jar. and the amount of fallout I received was not worth my money. These Sparklers DESPERATELY need a sifter, I heard all the news about them when they were released without them, and MUG 100% SHOULD NOT have released these without a sifter. Bad marketing move on their part.
- I also found after playing with these shadows that the “Sparkler” is more of a “Glitter” than a “Loose Eyeshadow” and it definitely needs a sticky base such as LIT Glitter Glue to hold it down. MUG packages it as a loose shadow, which it isn’t.
- MUG makes a lot of dupes for MAC shadows at a fraction of the cost.
- MUG has a very unique game in the eyeshadow world by releasing Foiled and DuoChrome Eyeshadows.
- They are smooth and feel like a normal eyeshadow when swatched.
- With UD primer potion, some of the shades faded throughout the day.
- Mattes: Super chalky. Good shade selection. If you tap off the extra shadow and blend really well the chalkiness is not an issue. They look good on the eyes.
- Shimmer: Some are smooth, some are chunky. I felt like ColourPop had a better value and better opacity than the MUG shadows.
- Foiled: 10/10 for opacity and texture.
- Sparker: Very sheer coverage, only showed a lot of sparkle with a flash, VERY VERY messy. Wastes a lot of product just by opening the tube.
- Better than a MAC shadow.
- Regular/ Duochrome shadows: $6 for 1.8G / 0.064 oz.
- Foiled shadows: $10 for 1.8 G as well.
- Some shimmer and foiled eyeshadows were very pigmented.
- SOME of their products are vegan.
- A lot of dupes for other brands.
- Their duochrome and foiled shadows look GREAT on my eyes in particular.
- Only available online.
- All the “red” or “pink”, and some “shimmer/metallic” shades contain Carmine, making them NOT vegan.
- A lot of the products I did want were sold out.
- Even though the pans are magnetized they move when you get product out, so be sure to use the extra magnets that come with a Z-palette.
- Makeup Geek shouldn’t have released the Sparklers without a sifter.
- Would also like to mention, the first time I ordered from this company my shadows were lost in the mail. When I contacted Customer Service it was a huge struggle for them to send me a replacement. I felt like Customer Service was a little rude and could use some adjustments. The second order I placed (this one) my products arrived in a week with no damages!
- Found out after receiving this order, these shadows BREAK SO EASILY. I have carpeted floors, my palette fell off my vanity desk ONE time, and 3/5 of the Foiled/Duochrome shadows in my other Z-palette shattered COMPLETELY. Normally I would use rubbing alcohol to “save” them but there was little to no product left. For $10 a shadow that sucks.
- I enjoyed these shadows MORE than the Sugarpill Eyeshadows, and less than the ColourPop shadows I recently purchased.
- I would repurchase more Foiled and Duochrome shadows 100%, I feel like the mattes could be a hit or miss.
- I would NOT repurchase a Sparkler until they add the sifters on!
Matte Shadows 3.5/5, Other Shadow 4/5, Foiled Shadows 5/5, Sparkler 1/5.
You can buy MakeupGeek Cosmetics directly from http://www.makeupgeek.com/store/, follow their Facebook or Instagram account for updates!